Vermont Fall Foliage - Leaf PeepersDespite its nickname as the Green Mountain State, Vermont could just as easily be known as the foliage state. The crimson and gold fall foliage season usually occurs from September 15 to October 20th. Vermont leaf peepers experience a spectacle of colorful foliage, changing leaves and cool autumn breezes. Be sure to schedule time to attend some of the foliage festivals that are held throughout Vermont's majestic Northeast Kingdom.
Northeast Kingdom, Vermont Foliage Tour
- Take a right out of the hotel parking lot and first right onto I-91 North. Take exit 21 and a right off the exit onto Rt 2 west.
- Travel from St. Johnsbury to West Danville via US Route 2 then turn right and take VT Route 15 from West Danville to Hardwick
- In Hardwick turn right onto VT Route 14 and follow it north past Craftsbury, through Albany and to Irasburg
- In Irasburg take VT Route 58 west through Lowell and along Hazens Notch to Montgomery Ctr. (some sections of the road are unpaved)
- Take VT Route 242 from Montgomery Ctr., with a side trip to Jay Peak, and back on VT Route 242 through Jay
- Go through Jay to intersection with VT Route 101; take a left and follow VT Route 101 to No. Troy, turn right onto VT Route 105/5A, follow it to West Charleston
- Take VT Route 5A from West Charleston south to US Route 5 and take US Route 5 south to intersection with VT Route 114 just north of Lyndonville
- Turn left onto VT Route 114, take it north through East Burke and East Haven to Island Pond (the last few miles are merged VT Routes 114 and 105)
- Travel east from Island Pond through East Brighton to Bloomfield via VT 105
- Travel from Bloomfield south, in the Connecticut River Valley, through Maidstone and Guildhall, to merge onto US Route 2 and take it west through Lunenburg, North Concord, Concord and East St. Johnsbury to St. Johnsbury to complete an approximately 210-mile foliage tour of the Northeast Kingdom.
New Hampshire White Mountains Fall Foliage:
The best views of New Hampshire are in Vermont. While planning your Vermont foliage vacation, be sure to include taking in the amazing White Mountains of New Hampshire. The White Mountains and Presidential range are only 30 minutes from the Comfort Inn and Suites, St. Johnsbury. Mt Washington's Cog Railway is a "Do Not Miss Experience for foliage leaf peepers. Fall foliage festivals are scheduled throughout the White Mountains during late September and first week or two of October.